These are the issues coming before various City of Charleston boards and committees and the review results that are specific to Daniel Island and the Cainhoy area. All meetings are open for public comment except the TRC meetings.
CITY OF CHARLESTON TECHNICAL REVIEW COMMITTEE
A meeting of the City of Charleston Technical Review Committee will be held starting at 9 a.m. on Feb. 18 via Zoom, followed by an 11 a.m. review of additional projects. To access by telephone, dial 1-301-715-8592, then Webinar ID# 896 3563 7931, followed by password 021821.
Items on the agenda for Daniel Island or the Cainhoy peninsula include:
• Cainhoy South - First Light - Phase 4 Road Construction Plans. Location: Hopewell Drive, Cainhoy. Submittal Review: 4TH Review. Owner: Cainhoy Lumber & Timber LLC. Applicant: Thomas & Hutton, 843-725-5274. Contact: Will Cox firstname.lastname@example.org
• Marshes At Daniel Island Phases 1A & 1A preliminary subdivision plat and road construction plans. Project Classification: Major Subdivision. Location: 144 Fairbanks Drive, Daniel Island. Submittal Review: 4th Review. Acres: 16.78. # Lots (for subdiv): 56. # Units (multi-family): 56 Owner: Sm Charleston LLC. Applicant: Seamonwhiteside + Associates Inc., 843-884-1667. Contact: Patterson Farmer, email@example.com
At the Feb. 11 meeting, items on the agenda for Daniel Island or the Cainhoy peninsula included:
• Sportsman Island Boat & RV - storage facility construction. Location: Sportsman Island Drive, Cainhoy. Owner: 1.7SI LLC. Applicant: Kellum Engineering, LLC, 843-509-0568. Contact: Thomas Kellum, firstname.lastname@example.org
. RESULTS: Revised and resubmit to the board.
CITY OF CHARLESTON BOARD OF ZONING-SITE DESIGN
A meeting of the BZA-SD was held Feb. 3 via Zoom. Items on the agenda for Daniel Island or the Cainhoy peninsula included:
• 310 Hidden Bottom Lane, Daniel Island. Request a variance from Sec. 54-327 to allow the removal of one grand tree. Owner: Michael & Caroline Walkley. Applicant: Lowcountry Premier Custom Homes. RESULTS: Approval with staff recommendations and conditions: 1. Must plant 33 caliper inches of recommended native canopy trees on the project site in the form of four trees in addition to the DI ARB landscape requirements. 2. Must make a monetary contribution to the City’s Street Tree Program for $2,360. 3.
Must use a 4-foot chain-link fence as tree protection barricades. 4. Must maintain the grand and non-grand trees as shown on the site plan. 5. Must provide a landscape plan for staff review and approval.
CITY OF CHARLESTON BOARD OF ZONING-APPEALS
A meeting of the BZAZ was held Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 5:15 p.m., virtually via Zoom. Items on the agenda for Daniel Island or the Cainhoy peninsula included:
• Lafar Street, Daniel Island. Request variance from Sec. 54-823 Daniel Island Master Plan zoning regulations to allow an existing garage to be enlarged (garage bay/elevator addition) that increases the total garage footprint of 941square feet to 1,205 square feet (Ordinance limits the footprint to 1,000 square feet). Owner and applicant: Ashley Severance. Results were not available by the time the paper went to print.
At the meeting held Feb. 2. Items on the agenda for Daniel Island or the Cainhoy peninsula included:
• 321 Bayley Road, Daniel Island. Request variance (after-the-fact) from Sec. 54-823 Daniel Island Master Plan zoning regulations to allow a HVAC platform with a 15-ft., 9-inch setback from the rear property line (20-ft. required.) Owner: Kelly and Will Swicord. Applicant: Eric Schoenbaechler (Barrow Building Group). RESULTS: Approved.
REGULARLY SCHEDULED MEETINGS
•Berkeley County Council conducts its regularly scheduled meetings on the fourth Monday of each month at 6 p.m. at the Berkeley County Administration Building, 1003 Highway 52, Moncks Corner.
• Berkeley County Board of Education meetings are held twice each month. The second meeting of each month includes special recognitions of students, employees and community members. Executive Committee meets at 5:30 p.m.; public meeting starts at 6:30 p.m.
• Charleston City Council conducts its meetings on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month at 5 p.m.