Gridiron Wrap Up: BE tops West Ashley, Hanahan falls to Andrews

The Bishop England football team is 2-0 for the first time since 2007, and the Bishops’ fast start is a result of doing it the hard way.

Bishop England topped West Ashley 21-16 Friday night at Jack Cantey Stadium thanks to some late-game heroics.

With the score tied 14-14 and 69 seconds remaining in the game, talented quarterback Leo Albano dropped back to pass on 4th and four, but opted to keep the ball. He gained 21 yards to keep the Bishops’ hopes alive.

The Bishops’ Christian Greavu scored from 20 yards out on the next play, taking a pitch and outrunning the defense to the end zone to score with 35 seconds left in the game.

Bishops linebacker Evan Phillips picked off a pass following the kickoff. The Wildcats closed out the scoring on a safety when Albano ran out of the end zone on the final play of the game.

Bishop England coach John Cantey praised the offense for its last-minute score. But he said the defense was the key in beating West Ashley for the first time since 2012, the year Bishop England won its second straight state championship. The high-octane West Ashley offense was held to 359 yards.

West Ashley, which rushed for 400 yards in the season-opener, was missing star running back Dexter Freeman, who suffered a concussion last week. The Wildcats managed 188 yards on the ground and 359 yards overall as they dropped to 1-1.

“Our defense played very well,” Cantey said. “We played as a team on defense. There were no individuals. We played as a team.”

Bishop England scored on the first play of its opening possession with a 36-yard double pass from Albano to Greavu to Andrew Pizzo to take a 6-0 lead.

Albano scored on a 2-yard run and Adam Mikulsk kicked a field goal for the Bishops’ other scores.

Albano rushed for 132 yards, averaging 5.5 per carry.

“This is a different Bishop England team than the past couple years. The camaraderie we have in our players and in our staff is showing,” Cantey said.

Bishop England has another tough foe this weekend. St. John’s travels to Cantey Stadium.


Meanwhile, Hanahan came up on the wrong end of a 42-35 decision to Andrews.

The Hawks fell to 1-1 and face a big challenge when they travel to Wando in Week 3 of the season.

“We weren’t very excited to play,” Hanahan coach Charlie Patterson said. “We didn’t have any life. We didn’t play with enthusiasm, and we’re not good enough to win when we don’t play with that energy.”

Hanahan came up with the big plays. But the Yellow Jackets responded with big plays of their own.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do to get better,” Patterson said. “We dropped eight passes. If you take a play here and a play there, and it’s a different ballgame. They controlled the ball with their running game. We had only one possession in the first quarter. That should tell you something.”

Daniel Island Publishing

225 Seven Farms Drive
Unit 108
Daniel Island, SC 29492 

Office Number: 843-856-1999
Fax Number: 843-856-8555


Breaking News Alerts

To sign up for breaking news email alerts, Click on the email address below and put "email alerts" in the subject line:

Comment Here