In September 2020, Swim Charleston swimmers were just happy to be back in the water training. There was no certainty about meets or championships.
Despite this unknown, Swim Charleston participants committed themselves to a season of hard work with some fun thrown in, noted Head Coach Cathy Sheafor.
By October, there were opportunities for small intrasquad racing and by November the team was able to send small groups of swimmers to local meets with other teams.
Sheafor said swimmers recently traveled to Greenville and Spartanburg and participated in the Senior State Championships, Age Group State Championships, 8/Under State Championships.
Top Daniel Island participants in these meets include:
• Amelia DeWolf, age 8, top-10 finisher in one event
• Bridgette DeWolf, age 10, top-10 relay participant
• Brady Evin, age 12, state finalist and top-10 finisher in 50 and 100 backstroke
• Lauren Evin, age 8, top-10 finisher in four individual events
• Charlotte Good, age 10, top-10 relay participant
• Connor Good, age 12, state finalist and top-10 finisher in 50 fly
• Gabe Grimm, age 16
• Bryce May, age 13
• Lilah May, age 10, top-20 in 500 freestyle and a top-10 relay participant
• Jackson Muller, age 12, state finalist in 50 freestyle
• Callahan Salta, age 6, state champion in 200 freestyle and 100 freestyle
• Colton Salta, age 8, state champion in both 25 fly and 50 fly
The 11-12 boys 200-yard freestyle relay team of Connor Good, Jackson Muller, Andrew Curl, and Brady Evin placed seventh in the state.
Two residents, Brady Evin (dropping a combined 7.37 seconds in 50 backstroke and 100 backstroke) and Connor Good (dropping 1.69 seconds in the 50 fly), qualified for the ESSZ 14/under Sectional Championship in Cary, North Carolina, the highest level of regional competition for swimmers ages 14 and under.